Wednesday, January 25, 2012

You'll Get Paid Back.

That's what I've been saying to people who are having a really hard time for no apparent reason.
My Sarah said recently, "I wish I did something to deserve all of this. Then it would at least be justified."

No one deserves to go through some of the things that happen in life.
Tragedy, heartbreak, abuse, death, sickness, loss...
Or sometimes you're on the other end of things.
Helping someone through an extremely hard time.
And you know you're doing the right thing because you love that person and want to do everything you can to help them get through something out of their control.
Maybe just by being there, or letting them vent, or cry on you, or they just want you to make them laugh.

No matter if it's you or someone else- you're drained physically, emotionally, spiritually.
And you think that it might be all for nothing.

And I'm here to tell you that you WILL get paid back.
Not right away and probably not when you need it the most. 
But I know you will because I have been given little gifts.

Maybe I'm just loving life so much that I'm more aware of the little things.
Dunno.
Example!
Last week was rough. 
My baby boys are starting to go to bed by 6:00 p.m. now.
And I get off work at 5:00 p.m. and my office is 30 minutes away.
I cried the day I realized this.
Those little guys have healed my heart so much that I could barely fathom not seeing them only on weekends.
This week my sister said I could come over each day after work and help with bathtime and bedtime. 
Even though it was only 30 minutes, it's the best part of my day.


And know what else I noticed?
My sister needs me for the first time ever.
That is the best feeling in the world.
She gets along fine without me, but could always use help.
This has brought us so much closer together.

Other little things?
Free MAC makeup from my makeup artist out of the blue.
All green lights on my way to work when I would have been late.
A nice text from my boss when I was worried about how my work performance was.
A weekend staying with an 11 year old girl while her parents went out of town. Tucking her in and playing with her was painful in remembering the girls, but healing to love and be loved by a little girl.
My sister giving me a trash bag full of her work clothes so I could take back the $200 of clothes I had to buy but couldn't afford.
My dad calling me one evening just to say hi.
My Sarah doing the dishes...like all the time.
Finding a Hobby Lobby coupon next to my car one day. 
A nice Fed Ex man dropping off a package and non-creepily telling me that I looked pretty when I was having a bad day. 

I could keep going!

When you feel like you're at your end- know that there is good looking out when you're doing good to others and to yourself.

Look for it and embrace it.
It's up to you to find it in the ugliest days.
And it's a much more beautiful way to live.

XOXO



6 comments:

  1. Gosh, I love you, Bear. I am so happy you are blogging again. You have inspired me, perhaps I will start again as well!

    Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree, agree, agree! People think I'm crazy for helping friends occasionally. I'm happy to do it and simply think it's the right thing to do. What's so wrong with that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just got all caught up on you. So glad you're in a good place now, Sass. And embracing the little things is always a good thing! Love all the paintings. You're quite talented!! Missed you. Welcome back!!

    ReplyDelete